stories of a lifelong lover of food who had no choice but to go gluten-free. the trials, the triumphs and the joy of finding recipes that are worthy of sharing!

Monday, November 1, 2010

Dad's Famous Freshly-Caught Perch

Fresh Perch with Pineapple
     One of my first posts for this blog was a recipe dedicated to my mom, who had inspired me to perfect my macaroon-making skills. One of the first responses I received about that post was from my dad, who teasingly questioned why Mom had been featured here before he had been given proper recognition. I honestly had no answer for this. At least not any GOOD answer!
     I got to thinking on the question and decided that the only fair thing to do was to come up with some topic or recipe that was distinctly "Dad." I couldn't recall many meals that he prepared for us as kids, nor could I come up with a dish I had made for him that he seemed to enjoy more than usual. And then it hit me like lightning! TROUT. Fresh from the lake, perfectly filleted and prepared with a simple blend of butter and lemon. This was the epitome of my childhood culinary memories. For years I have been trying to find fish that tasted as sweet and delicious. My recollection of the flavor is so strong that it has ruined me for fish as an adult. Even at the best restaurants, it never tastes the same as Dad's TROUT.  Needless to say, I called my father almost immediately after my epiphany and said, "Dad, I'm gonna blog about your TROUT!! You know, the way you always made it after you'd gone out fishing?! I loved your TROUT!" He was oddly silent for a moment. "Ummm, that was PERCH," he finally replied. Well...that shed a lot of light on my 20 year search for the taste I remembered and longed for!   
     Armed with this new information, I got in touch with a friend who has expansive knowledge of all things fishy, and checked around town for a friendly fishmonger, and got on my Mac and started reading recipes.  I decided to abandon the butter and perhaps prepare my perch with a healthier fat, but I wanted to stay true to my dad's tradition and keep the flavors simple and citrus-y. I came upon a few recipes that paired ocean perch with pineapple, which sounded fantastic. These mainly called for baking or broiling, but relied solely on the fruit juice and olive oil to impart flavor. Doubtful that this would satisfy my taste buds, I came up with a few additions to doctor things up and the results have proven good enough to share with all of you! Although its not exactly like Dad's, this dish is very tasty, light but flavorful, and mild enough to win over folks who, like myself, think they just don't care very much for fish. My husband even said it was "the best fish (he'd) ever eaten!" As always, I hope this rates as highly with you and yours as it did at our house.



FRESH PERCH WITH PINEAPPLE & A PUNCH
  • 6-8 fresh perch fillets
  • 1 cup pineapple juice*
  • 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp Spanish paprika
  • pinch freshly ground black pepper
  • lime wedges or slices, for garnish
  • vegetable oil, for preparing pan
     Place fillets in a single layer in a shallow dish, such as a glass cake pan.  In a small bowl, combine pineapple juice, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and spices. Whisk to combine. Pour over the perch fillets, cover tightly, and marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour, turning once.
     Preheat broiler and generously coat rack of broiler pan with vegetable oil.
     Remove fillets from dish and place, skin side down, on the prepared broiler pan. Reserve marinade.
     Broil fish 4 inches from heat for 10-12 minutes, brushing once or twice with reserved marinade. Fish is done when it flakes easily when gently touched with a fork.
     Remaining marinade may be heated in a saucepan and spooned over fish before serving. Garnish with lime wedges or twists. May be served over brown rice, if desired.
     Serves 3-4. Gluten-free, suitable for Partial Vegetarians.
      *This can be drained from canned pineapple, just be sure it is packed in pineapple juice and not light syrup!


     This is a delicately flavorful dish and is complimented nicely by lightly steamed vegetables of most any variety and a healthy grain such as brown rice or quinoa.  I served it with Butternut Squash & Blackeyed Peas and a fresh green salad with Maple Dijon Dressing, topped with a few Chili Pepitas to add a little crunch. For busy cooks, mix the marinade up to a day ahead, pour it over the fish after work and enjoy a restaurant quality meal any night of the week with just a few minutes of hands-on kitchen time.


The One & Only!
   

  My most heartfelt gratitude to my dad, Dave, for inspiring this dish and ending the years of frustration I suffered in trying to create it! Make it for your friends and loved ones, and may you all raise a glass to my dear, old dad. CHEERS!!

4 comments:

  1. Now that is ONE Mad Lawn Mower Man...LOL!
    Women Loved him & Fish FEARED HIM!!
    Best of Luck with your new Website Jessie, it is quite impressive to say the least!
    Tim Bertrand

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessie and Dave, I can't wait to try this recipe! It looks and sounds scrumptious! So glad you can finally enjoy food! Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!
    If Tim could get him out fishing and Katie could get him over for dinner, I'd be the happiest girl in town. Free perch dinner to ya both if you can pull it off!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :( can't get this species of Perch in the South. Boo. I remember it from Borio's. Oh well, I am sure I can come up with something....

    ReplyDelete